How I Stick to my Goals with Lara Casey's Powersheets
One of the things I love to talk about around here is goals and setting goals. I’m a BIG goal setter and a huge believer in the power of making things happen by declaring what you want to happen and planning the steps to get there.
One of the biggest challenges in goal setting is sticking with it after you put in the time to come up with your goals.
A lot of folks struggle with how to track their goals, remember their goals, and see progress along the way. While there are many ways of tracking goals and ultimately it’s a personal choice, my favorite way to keep myself on track is with Lara Casey’s Powersheets.
What are Powersheets
Powersheets are the brain child of Lara Casey. She designed these several years back as a tool for women (although men can use them too!) to create purpose filled goals and see them through. She tells it better than me, so let me quote her website to give you a better idea...
"PowerSheets™ were designed to help you--whether you are a creative, an entrepreneur, a mom, a student, or someone who needs solid guidance and motivation--uncover purpose-filled goals and strategically plan action steps to make what matters happen. You don't have to be a business owner to use the PowerSheets™ -- they're perfect for personal and business goals alike." source: Lara Casey's Story
These worksheets are no joke. You need a good chunk of time up front to assess yourself, your life, where you are, and where you want to go in order to use the monthly sections. But, her questions and exercises really help you uncover the goals and objectives that mean something to you.
After you establish your goals for the year, you have monthly pages to keep you on track. For each month, you have the following pages:
- Let it Go - It’s the start of a new month…where are you in your head? Write it all out and get it out of your head. Clear the clutter before you start planning anything for the month ahead.
- Moving Forward - A fill in the blank page to help you let go of what didn’t get done last month and prep yourself for moving forward with the new month.
- Refreshment Days - Plan your down time so you don’t forget to have a little fun! How will you recharge, what adventures will you have, and how will you love up on others?
- Tending List - List out your goals for the month and break it down into weekly objectives. You also have space to track daily goals that you are trying to turn into habits.
- Relationship Tending - Map out your plans to connect with others throughout the month - friends, family, partners, etc.
- Gratitude - Make notes throughout the month or reflect back on this at month end. What from the month are you grateful for? What amazing things happened that you want to remember? Jot it down, tape in a photo or memento, or write out a specific memory. The goal is to cultivate gratitude to find more joy in your life.
At the end of each quarter, there are seasonal pages to check in on how you’re doing with your overall goals.
There’s space to identify ways to clear the clutter in your life (internet, physical, matters of the heart, and decisions that need to be made), which is a great way to wrap up one quarter before starting fresh in a new quarter.
There are pages to reaffirm your yes’s and no’s for the year and to refresh your goals if needed. This allows you to start each season with a clear plan so you're ready to tackle whatever is on your list!
Take a Peek Inside
Why These Work for Me
I ordered my first set of Powersheets in 2014 and LOVED them! However, I wasn’t crazy about the need for a binder. I’m not a lover of binders because I find them bulky and too big to leave open on my desk if I want to keep something in view. I used them throughout 2014, but I didn’t order them for 2015 because of the binder issue.
As 2016 was rolling around, I noticed a new coil bound version of the Powersheets was released! Not only did that eliminate the need for a binder, but it was for the full year and included tabs! This was an answer to my prayers and I was sold! After getting my workbook in early December, I couldn’t wait to get started!
Powersheets work for me because it’s set up to use monthly, weekly, and daily. If you really commit to using this system, it keeps you on top of whatever you set out to do!
I loooovvveee the month end check-ins and reflections on the past month, as well as the quarterly overviews. I am looking forward to setting time aside at the end of each month and quarter to settle in at a local coffee shop and check in with myself. This is a huge part of what keeps me on track!
I leave my workbook open to the Tending Page for the current month to check off my daily habits each night and to constantly check in on the goals I have set for myself. This helps me to not forget anything and to re-evaluate my time if I feel something might not make (which may be okay!).
If you love these Powersheets, you can find them in Lara Casey’s shop online. As of the publishing of this post, it appears the workbooks are sold out, but you can pre-order the binder set. I believe those are undated, so once they’re restocked, you can get started whenever you are ready. You do not need to wait until next January!! Never feel like you can't start setting goals mid-year!